Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Power of Education campaign?
The Power of Education is the name of Georgian’s fundraising campaign. The goal of this exciting College-wide initiative is to raise $25 million to help Georgian develop and expand key programs such as entrepreneurship and awards and scholarships. The success of this campaign will have a positive ripple effect throughout the community, the economy and with employers and will offer students the best possible post-secondary education right in their own backyard.
Doesn’t the government provide enough funds to Georgian to upgrade and expand when necessary?
While the government does provide a specific level of funding per student, it is simply not enough to cover the expense of creating new programs, building new facilities, or even upgrading technologies. In fact, colleges in Ontario receive the least amount of funding per student compared to universities, high schools and elementary institutions.
Who benefits most from the Power of Education campaign?
The fundraising campaign is a winning initiative for everyone connected to Georgian College – students, alumni, employers, and the community as a whole. To name a few of the benefits:
- Students benefit from being educated in modern facilities, on current, leading-edge technologies, in relevant programs that will be their springboards to successful careers. With increased space capacity, Georgian will also be able to offer students more program choice and options for more degree-level studies through the University Partnership Centre.
- Alumni will benefit from Georgian maintaining its reputation as a first-rate post-secondary institution. When employers look to hire, Georgian graduates and the quality of their education is well respected in the industry. Through the campaign funds, Georgian will be able to continue to offer its students optimal learning experiences, as it has done over the last 45 years.
- Employers will benefit from the campaign in many ways. They will have more qualified graduates available for their hiring pools. On-the-job training costs will be minimized because Georgian students will already be trained on modern tools and technologies. Employers and businesses will be given opportunities to donate to the campaign and receive naming opportunities on the campus, elevating their profiles in the community and with students – their future workforce.
- Communities surrounding Georgian will benefit by having a quality post-secondary education institution operating locally. An educated community creates a higher standard of living, and Georgian helps the local economy with three per cent of all regional earnings linked to the College.
How can I support Georgian?
It’s easy to invest in the future of Georgian College through a donation or through volunteering your time to campaign for funds. You might also consider the following:
- Wills Some individuals choose to remember Georgian in their wills, leaving a legacy to students in their name and memory.
- Life Insurance Many people don’t know that they can make Georgian the owner or the beneficiary of a new or an existing life insurance policy. The premiums qualify for a tax credit.
- Stocks A person can deduct the full value of their stock as a charitable donation and pay no capital gains tax if they donate the stock to a registered charity such as Georgian College.
- Securities Those who frequently sell securities and realize capital gains on which they have to pay tax may be able to reduce capital gains tax by donating these securities directly to a registered charity such as Georgian College.
If you’re interesting in helping Georgian College be the best it can be, simply contact the Office of Development & Alumni Relations at:
1. Phone: 705-728-1968, ext. 1210
2. E-mail: email@example.com
3. Fax: 705-722-5176
Or drop by the Office of Development & Alumni Relations at the Barrie Campus, Room C259.
A campaign team member is always available to discuss Georgian and its plans for the future!