Staff and Faculty Frequently Asked Questions
- I usually teach on one campus. How do I log into the computers on another campus?
- How do I log into my ESS (Employee Self Serve) account?
- What is the difference between Banner baseline and web access?
- How can I have software added to computer labs?
- My students are unable to access a website that is required for my curriculum. What's wrong?
- How do I connect to the network printer in my office or change my network printer?
- How do I know if I'm connected to the network?
- How do I save files to my personal network drive space or the 'Shared' network drive?
- How do I connect a USB device to my computer (laptop)?
- I have plugged my memory stick into the USB port but cannot see it. What should I do?
- How do I burn my files to a CD?
- How do I copy/move files to my flash drive/memory stick?
- How can I use Turnitin in Blackboard?
I usually teach on one campus. How do I log into the computers on another campus?
Your login account is universal throughout the college.
How do I log into my ESS (Employee Self Serve) account?
Your ESS login is the same as your network access here at the college, your Outlook e-mail account, and your Blackboard account. If you experience any problems with the login, please follow these instructions for the Quest Password Manager to change your password.
Please follow these instructions to register with the Quest Password Manager and/or to change your password:
If you do not have this original password or the system does not accept this password, please click on the 'BACK' button of your browser and choose 'I Have a Passcode'. Passcodes can be obtained from the Service Desk in the Library Commons or by contacting the Information Technology Service Desk at x1732 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will now have to create four (4) security questions and answers:
- If you do not know your Employee number, you may enter a different number (such as your phone number for example 7281968 – as long as you remember what you have entered).
- Please open the drop-down menu and choose one of three (3) possible questions
- Please choose a question for the last security question and type and confirm the answer.
- Please note that this answer has to contain at least 6 characters whereas the first three question only required 4 character answers. Also, the wording of your answer cannot be contained in the question for example: Q: What colour is my orange car. A: orange
You now have many more options in your profile. Please click on 'Manage My Password' to create a new password.
The next window will confirm that your password has been successfully changed!
Please note that you only have to create this profile once. After that, you will have the ability to change/modify your password at your convenience – 24/7.
If you are still unable to access your account, please contact the Information Technology Service Desk at x1732 or e-mail email@example.com contact the Library Commons, ext. 1677.
What is the difference between Banner baseline and web access?
All employees, faculty and staff have a Banner 'web access' account. The Username for this account is your 9-digit employee number and you will have a 6-digit PIN. Faculty can enter marks and print class rosters etc. "Baseline" is accessed by Program Co-ordinators and staff requiring this access for their work functions i.e. Office of the Registrar staff. The Username for Baseline is your first initial and last name with a password. Changing your Banner PIN or your Banner Baseline password will NOT affect your computer network access/Outlook password.
How can I have software added to computer labs?
My students are unable to access a website that is required for my curriculum. What's wrong?
Certain ports may be blocked for security reasons. Please fill out the Firewall Request Form with as much information as possible so that we can resolve the problem. Deliver the filled form to the Client Services Helpdesk in room C 301 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I connect to the network printer in my office or change my network printer?
First, you need to know the name of the printer which is usually associated with the room number that the printer is located. If you have more than one printer in your area, the printer should have a sign on the lid of the printer which indicate its name for example: BA- C301-AD02.
Go to 'Start' and select 'Printers and Faxes' on the right side. Click on the 'Add a printer' icon to initiate the printer wizard which will take you through all the steps of installation
Access the Printer Wizard by clicking on 'Add a printer' in the left pane
The first screen of the wizard is an introductory page, please click on 'Next'. On the next page you want to ensure that you click on 'A network printer...' and 'Next' again.
The next page asked to find the printer in the directory which is correct and therefore, please click 'Next'
A new window opens to look in the 'Entire Directory'. Change this setting to 'Admin' which will display only administrative printers. Start typing in the name of the printer. All printer names start with their campus location -- for example: BA - Barrie, OR - Orillia. The rest of the name is related to the building and room number of the printer. eg. BA-C301 or OR-C214. Highlight the appropriate printer and click 'OK'.
The system will now install the needed printer driver automatically. This may take a few seconds and you may see that some files are being transferred to your computer for installation. You also may not see any changes just that the window is stuck here for a while until the driver is installed.
The next window will ask you if you want to make this printer the default printer. This means that whatever you print will automatically be sent to this printer i.e. if you click on the printer icon on a web page. Please make your choice and click 'Next'. The last page of the wizard is displayed. All you have to do is click on 'Finish' to successfully install the printer.
How do I know if I'm connected to the network?
Double click the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop.
How do I save files to my personal network drive space or the 'Shared' network drive?
Double click on the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop. You will see the network drive icons as shown below. One of the drives will have your username on it which represents your G:\ drive or your personal space on the network. You will also see any access to shared drives which will be used by your 'Department' of the college.
How do I connect a USB device to my computer (laptop)?
USB ports are found on all computers whether they are laptops or desktops. Older computer models may only have one or two USB ports. Newer models have several USB ports as most peripherals, i.e. keyboard, mouse and printers, have USB connectors. They are easier to use and transfer data at a faster rate than the old serial or parallel connectors. The USB cable is identified with this symbol:
The USB connector should be inserted gently into the computer port. In general, the USB symbol should be visible on the top of the connector whereas a company symbol may be found on the other side.
On-board USB port on the back of a computer.
On-board USB port on the front of a computer.
Never force a connector into a port! When USB plug is oriented correctly it will easily fit into the port! Otherwise, you may damage the system board.
Your computer will automatically detect the new hardware. If you are running an older/other (than Windows XP/2000 etc.) Operating System, you may have to configure the new hardware manually.
I have plugged my memory stick into the USB port but cannot see it. What should I do?
If you are using a flash drive/memory stick and although your computer has detected the device you cannot view any data, please refer to Flash Drive, Portable Memory Stick Troubleshooting OR following these steps:
- Right click on 'My Computer'
- Click on 'Manage'
- Click on 'Disk Management'
- You will see a field in the bottom, right pane called 'F:\'
- right click anywhere in the field of the F:\
- Click on 'Change Drive Letter and Path...'
- Click on 'Change'
- Change the drive letter to L:\
- Close all windows by clicking on the 'OK' button
- You will now see your data on L:\
How do I burn my files to a CD?
Please watch the tutorial How to burn folder/files to CD.
How do I copy/move files to my flash drive/memory stick?
Please watch the tutorial How to save to a Flash Drive/Memory Stick.
How can I use Turnitin in Blackboard?
For detailed instructions please read Instructions on using Turnitin with BlackBoard pdf file.
For more information, please contact the Turnitin administrator at email@example.com