Georgian College Mission Statement
“To inspire innovation, transform lives and connect communities through the power of education.”
Position Description – Specific Accountabilities
- Set the College vision, strategic directions, and overall goals and outcomes within the context of the appropriate laws, government policy, and local need.
- Establish and implement the College’s purpose and mission.
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of the College Strategic Plan, Annual Report and Business Plan.
- Approve the College’s annual business plan and budget.
- Establish governance structures to enable the achievement of expected institutional outcomes with clear lines of communication and internal accountability.
- Contribute to the development of Board Policies.
- Participate on Board Committees and/or Task Forces and at a variety of College functions (e.g. Awards Banquets, Convocations), on a volunteer basis, as requested by the Board.
- Provide a link between the College and the community, and confirm and expand the College’s identity within the community.
- Advocate on behalf of the College in its efforts to secure resources.
- Hire the President and CEO, delegate to the President and CEO accountability for the performance and operation of the College, and evaluate the President and CEO’s performance.
- Provide continuity for the governance and management of the College’s affairs.
- Ensure that the College is effectively and efficiently managed.
- Attend Board meetings.
- Be informed on all Board matters, and be prepared to make decisions based on that information.
- Set the rate of progress for the College to undertake to achieve its purpose and mission.
- Ensure that appropriate corrective action is taken where expected outcomes or quality of performance is not being achieved.
- Collectively assess the effectiveness of the Board with respect to governance and the attainment of corporate goals and outcomes on a regular basis.
- Specify how the Board conceives, carries out, monitors and measures its own tasks.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of individual Governors at the time of their reappointment.