May 16 was a wet day out on the course but that didn’t stop 308 golf enthusiasts from teeing off for student success. The 24th Annual Georgian College Golf Classic, held at The Club at Bond Head, raised $50,000.
It was a record year for the classic – it sold out for the second consecutive year, weeks before registration closed. The planning committee worked hard to get 47 sponsors on board.
“A heartfelt thank you goes out to the Golf Classic Committee for the incredible work they do year round to make this tournament possible,” says Hank Thibideau, Manager, Community Relations and Corporate Events. “They put in hours of volunteer time – from organizing logistics and marketing the event, to soliciting sponsorship and auction items.”
The tournament isn’t just a fundraising initiative – it’s also an opportunity to celebrate with long-term corporate partners and friends. “Many of our participants return year after year and have strong connections with the college,” Thibideau notes. “We’re grateful for their ongoing support.”
- The live and silent auction brought in almost $15,000.
- $20,000 was up for grabs in the putting contest; one of the participants hit the pin but, unfortunately, the ball didn’t fall in the hole.
- 34 students and three faculty members from the Massage Therapy program came to pamper guests.
- Winners in mixed division: David McCullough, Nancy McCullough, Rob Garner, Elly Garner.
- Winners in men’s division: Mike Thompson, David Rees, Ed Scully, Steven Thibideau.
- Winners in ladies’ division: Lori Davis, Katie McIntyre, Kim Lacey, Judy Cutbush.
For more highlights, view the tournament photo album on Flickr.
Major sponsors this year:
- Casino Rama
- Top Notch Building Maintenance
- Johnson Inc.
- John Holland and Family
- Bondfield Construction
- Gallavan & Associates
- Georgian College Alumni Association
$840,000 has been raised to date since the inception of the classic. Funds raised for 2011 support the Power of Education campaign, specifically the new Centre for Health and Wellness, the new John Di Poce South Georgian Bay Campus in Collingwood, and student awards and scholarships.
The planning committee looks forward to celebrating next year’s 25th anniversary, set for Tuesday, May 29, at The Club at Bond Head.
Bookmark the Golf Classic website and stay tuned for details.