|Fall 2018||Owen Sound, Barrie|
Students train on the theoretical and practical skills required to obtain the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) Gas Technician 3 (G.3) and Gas Technician 2 (G.2) certifications. Students study workplace safety, tools, characteristics of natural gas, codes/regulations, basic electricity, technical specifications, customer relations, basic piping systems, and an introduction to gas appliances. Further on, students study advanced piping/tubing systems, electricity, controls, systems, appliances, gas meters, pressure regulators, gas-fired refrigerators, conversion burners, water heaters, forced warm air heating systems, hydronic heating systems, space heating, venting practices, forced air add-on devices, and air handling.
The Barrie Campus program is delivered evenings and weekends only.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
You must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible for admission to these programs:
Secondary school applicants:
- OSS curriculum: OSSD or equivalent, with Grade 12 English (C) or (U) (ENG4C, ENG4U)
Non-Secondary school applicants (19 years or older):
- Any credit Communication course taken at Georgian College
- Most college preparatory programs including those taken at Georgian College: Technology Foundation, Technology Fundamentals and General Arts and Science*
- Equivalent courses in English taken through secondary school or Independent Learning Centres (at the general, advanced, college or university level)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program with communications
- Mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through most testing services)*
- Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
- English, Literature or Communication credit courses from accredited colleges/universities
Home school applicants:
- Applicants can write the mature student testing in English that meets the minimum standards for admission (available through testing services)*
* available from Georgian College. For a complete listing please contact the Office of the Registrar.
View the Gas Technician articulations on the Credit Transfer Centre page.
- GAST1000 Introduction to Electricity
- GAST1001 Professional Practices
- GAST1002 Piping and Tubing Systems
- GAST1003 Introduction to Gas Appliances
- GAST1004 Pressure Regulator Controls
- GAST1006 Gas Appliances
- GAST1007 Water Heaters and Hydronic Heating
- GAST1008 Forced Air and Space Heating
- GAST1009 Venting
- GAST1010 Forced Air Add-Ons and Air Handling